What type of assistance is available for in home care?
There are many different types of home care assistance however not ever areas of the State of Maine have access to all the services.
- Nursing care. In consultation with the doctor, nursing care may include wound dressing, ostomy care, intravenous therapy, administering medication, monitoring the general health of the patient, pain control, and other health support.
- Physical, occupational, and/or speech therapy. .A physical therapist can help a patient regain or strengthen use of muscles and joints. An occupational therapist can help a patient with physical, developmental, social, or emotional disabilities relearn how to perform such daily functions as eating, bathing, dressing, and more. A speech therapist can help a patient with impaired speech regain the ability to communicate clearly.
- Medical social services. Medical social workers provide various services to the patient, including counseling and locating community resources to help the patient in his or her recovery. Some social workers are also the patient’s case manager–if the patient’s medical condition is very complex and requires coordination of many services.
- Care from home health aides. Home health aides can help the patient with his or her basic personal needs such as getting out of bed, walking, bathing, and dressing. Some aides have received specialized training to assist with more specialized care under the supervision of a nurse.
- Homemaker or basic assistance care., Homemaker or person who helps with chores or tasks can maintain the household with meal preparation, laundry, grocery shopping, and other housekeeping items.
- Nutritional support. Dietitians can come to a patient’s home to provide dietary assessments and guidance to support the treatment plan.
- Home-delivered meals. Often called Meals-on-Wheels, many communities offer this service to patients at home who are unable to cook for themselves. Depending on the person’s needs, hot meals can be delivered several times a week. https://www.mealsonwheelsamerica.org/
- Pharmaceutical services. Medicine and medical equipment can be delivered at home. If the patient needs it, training can be provided on how to take medicines or use of the equipment, including intravenous therapy.
- Transportation. There are companies that provide transportation to patients who require transportation to and from a medical facility for treatment or physical exams.